Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Angler Spotlight - Steve C.

Or, Dad, as I like to call him.  There have been some lean years of fish catching for this guy.  But in recent vintage, things have been looking up.  A lot has changed through the years; he is now in a boat seat, has an ugly orange hat, never fishes with the same person in consecutive years (I think we should explore why), handles gin like a right cross from Mike Tyson, and walks slower due to some tenderness in the nether-regions.  He has a lot going against him this year.  He will, at any point, be fishing with Connor, Will, Aaron or Ryan.  One of these people has never operated a net before.  One of these people needs concrete evidence of a net worthy fish before getting down off the boat seat.  Then there is me and Connor.  If he can catch his big fish while fishing with the right people, I really think he can make a run at FOTW.  He is due.  He knows where all the fish are and he even stands up to fish every now and again.  But if Aaron won't net his fish or Will can't get the Hibernet open...or he gets over-served before dinner...or his nether-regions hamper his ability to get out of the top bunk...or somebody puts his hat in the burn barrel...or he just generally reverts back to his "I haven't caught a walleye all day." years, it is going to be a long week...and it will still be the best week of the year.

Post Script - Now I know this isn't our style on this blog and I think he already knows, but I don't say it enough...Thank you Dad for taking me on this trip when I was 8 years old.  Some of my best childhood, and adult for that matter, memories are of this trip and I look equally forward to it every time I get the chance to go. 

Post Post Script - The above is in lieu of me getting you something nice in order to show my gratitude.  This trip is expensive.  Aaron knows what I mean.

4 comments:

  1. I have no trouble netting my own fish. I don't understand why every one else thinks that job requires 2 people. the trouble i have is hooking one large enough to require a net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppoose your going to want everything over 12 inches netted now that hand tied jigs are on the line. Dad will catch some fish, but he's signed up for a lot of guide work which will cut his in-water time significantly. I too am happy to have been taught so many things from my father. But apparently we weren't together when he said "boys, this is a special trip. Don't go home and pillow talk your wives about how much it costs and screw your brother".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, I was there when he said, don't lie to your wife though. They always find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the drama continues...right Anchor Boy?

    ReplyDelete